I don’t think I know one person that doesn’t like Mac and Cheese, it’s just one of those delicious comfort foods that you can eat loads of. I feel that I’m pretty well rounded, when trying all sorts of different kinds – from growing up eating KD, to tasting the finer dishes at some of my favourite restaurants. A couple of years ago I decided to try making my own.. but of course a
cheese less version, for two reasons.. One being that I was on a huge health kick, and two because eating cheese always upset my stomach. Now I know you’re probably thinking, how can you even call this Mac and “Cheese” without the main ingredient (it’s in the name of the dish for crying out loud), but trust me when I say it tastes just as good, and you would almost never know you weren’t actually eating cheese!! The main ingredient in this recipe is nutritional yeast, which has a cheese flavour, and gives it that cheesy colour.
***This recipe does contain nuts, so if you have an allergy, this isn’t an option. However, there are a number of vegan cheeses out there that might be a better pick when making a Mac and Cheese.
Prep time: 10 mins – Cook time: 9 mins – Makes: 2 -3 Servings
- 375g of Elbow Pasta
- 1 1/2 cup of Whole Raw Cashews
- 3/4 cup of Water
- 3 tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp of Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric
- 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 /2 tsp of Chopped Garlic
- Almond Milk
Let’s Get Started
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package and place to the side.
- Using a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, water and lemon juice. You want to pulse / chop, so that all the nuts are broken down and form a nice paste.
- Add the spices, mustard, garlic, and nutritional yeast, so that everything is mixed together.
- Add a splash of almond milk, to take it from a paste to a sauce (making it much creamier).
- Combine the cheesy mix to your cooked (drained) pasta.
- Top with some breadcrumbs (ketchup and hot sauce) and enjoy!
Let me know if you have your own cheese-less recipe or if you give this one a try. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more!