Usually wearing your “heart on your sleeve” is not something you want to do… It often suggests that you are over sensitive and are too quick to act on your emotions. But lets throw that all out the window today, because this DIY is definitely one that you want to try! This personalized sweater is simple and stylish, and will have you feeling very festive this Valentine’s Day. The weather has also been so unpredictable lately, so a sweater is a great pick for Feb 14th. My favourite part about this diy, is that it’s totally customizable – change the colours, or change the hearts into conversational hearts by adding a little more detail! I found a plain white sweater with pretty bell sleeves from Forever 21 for 15 dollars and chose to use pink fabric paint for my hearts. No matter how you choose to create this DIY, it will be unique to your own style and preference!
You will need:
- Plain sweater
- Fabric Paint
- Scissors / Exacto Cutter
- Heart Cookie cutter
Lets get started:
- Start by tracing your cutter on to a piece of cardboard. It doesn’t matter what size you pick, as long as you have enough room to create a stencil.
- Cut it out, and tape the edges to ensure a smooth line.
- Add bigger pieces of cardboard into the body of the sweater and down one of the arms. This is to ensure your paint doesn’t bleed through.
- Start stencilling your hearts, scatter them around half of the body, and only down the arm with the cardboard.
- Give it plenty of time to dry – Depending on your choice of paint you can go over it if needed. I chose to paint hearts along the back of the sleeve as well.