Every year I like making something for my fiancé for Valentine’s Day, I mean who wouldn’t like receiving something that was handmade with love? A couple of years ago, I made him a chocolate guitar, and then the following year an amp to go along with it. While most people tend to aim towards chocolate for Valentine’s Day, this year I decided to make something I know he would get a real kick out of. You see, like most people, he loves playing the lottery – scratch card tickets to be exact. I love them too, you never know what prize you might win! So today I’m going to share with you how I made some DIY love lotto tickets, paired with the perfect “punny”card! This DIY isn’t limited to your significant other, you can switch up the prizes and cater it to your family or friends.
The punny card I decided to make, was one that I had seen floating around online before. I decided to give it a little twist, because your Valentine needs something to scratch those lotto tickets with! We don’t use pennies here in Canada anymore, so those were my choice of coin. I love the whole pun of the card, because it’s perfect to show that special someone just how much they mean to you!
The lottery tickets I decided to make are based on a lottery ticket we have here in Canada called “Cash for Life” – Uncover 3 LIFEs in a game and you win 1000 dollars a week for life. Of course there are other small prizes that you could win as well. The bottom usually has a “Lucky Symbol” game, where you have to find the symbol to win. Some of the prizes I chose were: movies, dinner, breakfast, roses, etc. & if they are lucky enough to win LIFE, they’ve got you forever… how sweet! You can write the rules on the back to make it easier to understand.
Here is the card I designed, I left the game squares free for you to fill in (if you choose to use it), but I filled in the symbol game, so your Valentine is bound to be a winner…
- Craft Paper / Card Stock
- Letter Stickers
- Hot Glue Gun
- Using your materials, create your card with “Don’t ever change” on the front.
- Hot glue your coins around the card, keep one off to the side (this will be the coin they use to scratch the lotto cards)
- Paint your coins – This step is optional
- Write – “Your lucky coin” on top of the solo coin.
- Set to the side to dry
Love for Life Tickets
- Print Out
- Dish Soap
- Packing Tape
- You can use the print out I created, or make your own, by either drawing or designing it online.
- Print it out onto cardstock paper, thicker paper works better for this DIY.
- Fill in the empty squares with different prizes – If you want your Valentine to be a winner, make sure you write 3 of the same prizes in one of the game squares.
- Cut out pieces of tape to match the game squares and tape over once you have filled everything in.
- In a bowl add equal parts of dish soap and paint, stir it around till everything is combined together. It will get very runny.
- Paint over the squares to hide the prizes – light layers are fine, you will need to go back over it a couple of times to make sure everything is covered. Make sure to give it plenty of time to dry.
- Put it into your card and send it off to your Valentine!
I hope you give this DIY a try, and be sure to follow me on Instagram for more fun!